The Rajhenburg castle
The Rajhenburg castle - presentation
One of the greatest relics of the Middle Ages in the Krško area is the Rajhenburg castle. Standing high above the narrow Sava river valley, it was first mentioned in 895, when it was owned by the Rajhenburg knights.
The castle's current form dates back to the Renaissance period, and the luxurious wall and ceiling frescoes are still well-preserved. In 1881, the castle was bought by the Trapist monks, who turned it into a monastery where delicious chocolate, cheese and liqueur were produced. The saddest part of the castle's history came during the second world war, when it became a gathering camp for Slovenian exiles.
Today, its chambers contain the Museum of Deportees, the Museum of WWII Political Prisoners and Internees, an exhibition on Trappist monks and a gallery of wines from the Posavje region.