Traffic laws in Slovenia are similar to laws in other EU countries.
Vehicles drive on the right side of the road. Road signs and markings are international and written in the Latin alphabet. Seatbelts must be used on all seats that have them, and dimmed lights must be lit even when driving during the day. Required equipment in a car includes a safety triangle, spare light bulbs, a first aid kit and snow chains (only during the winter) Professional drivers (taxis, buses, trucks) may not drive under the influence of alcohol; all other drivers may have a maximum of 0.5 promiles of alcohol in their blood.
All drivers are required to maintain a legally permitted speed and adjust their driving in response to road and weather conditions.
The maximum permitted speeds are:
- 130 km/h – on highways
- 100 km/h – on roads reserved for motor vehicles
- 90 km/h – on open roads
- 50 km/h – in urban areas
- 30 km/h – in speed limit zones
- 10 km/h – in steady traffic zones and pedestrian zones
Speed limits for certain types of vehicles:
- for vehicles with a maximum mass of 3500 kg towing a trailer
- for vehicles with a maximum mass above 3500 kg
- for buses and buses with trailers, with the exception of articulated buses
- for vehicles with snow chains
- for vehicles when visibility is worse than 50 meters
- for vehicles towing a broken down vehicle
Parking in cities is permitted on marked parking areas where a parking fee must be paid. Incorrectly parked vehicles that block traffic will be towed.
From 1.7.2008 Slovenia will introduce vignette
The vignette may be purchased at:
- gas stations,
- tobacco shops and newsstands,
- branch offices of the Post office and AMZS (Automobile Association of Slovenia) .
Information about resellers you can find on website Dars.
Sale of vignettes in neighbouring countries:
- Croatia – Petrol stations
- Austria and southern Germany - (available wherever Austrian vignettes are sold)
- Hungary – MOL gas stations
- Italy - gas stations of the Northern Italy Consortium
Type of vignette and prices:
VEHICLE ( for vehicles up to maximum permissible weight of 3.500 kg)
- yearly vignette for (two-track) vehicles 95 €
- monthly vignette for (two-track) vehicles 30 €
-weekly vignette for (two-track) vehicles 15 €
- yearly vignette for (one-track) motorcycles 47.50 €
- half-year vignette for (one-track) motorcycles 25 €
- weekly vignette for (one-track) motorcycles 7.50 €
Using motorways and expressways without a valid and properly displayed vignette in a vehicle will be considered a violation of the law and will be sanctioned with a fine between 300 and 800 EUR.
In addition to this fine, a new sticker must be purchased and displayed on the vehicle
In accordance with the amendment of the Public Roads Act, approved by the National Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia end of April this year, use of vignettes is obligatory for all vehicles with the permissible maximum weight of 3,500 kg (the current first and second toll-rate category) on motorways and expressways in the Republic of Slovenia as of 1 July 2008. The toll-collection system with vignettes is being introduced with the aim of improving traffic flow and reducing emissions to the environment.
With the introduction of the toll-collection system with vignettes in the second half of 2008, only half-yearly vignettes will be put on sale, while purchase of yearly vignettes for 2009 will be possible not later than by the beginning of December 2008.
Vignettes are expected to be put on sale in the following locations: at filling stations in Slovenia and the neighbouring countries and in the branch offices of the national and foreign automobile clubs. All users will be timely informed about those and other possible sale outlets.