The Škofja Loka castle
The Škofja Loka castle - presentation
Since 1215, a mighty fortress has watched over the city of Škofja Loka, located at the confluence of the Selška Sora and Poljanska Sora rivers. The original castle was built by the Bishops of Freising, but it was severely damaged during an earthquake in 1511.
Luckily, it was completely repaired and a chapel was added to it. Later, an entire new wing with a large hall was built and connected to the monastery. Ursulinians lived in the castle for some time, and after that it was converted into a girls' school. Today, it houses the Škofja Loka museum and the Postal museum.
The exhibits of the Škofja Loka museum show the historical, artistic, cultural, ethnological and natural heritage of the region.